Monday, July 6, 2009

Black Butterfly Salutes: Michael Jackson

If you were a kid growing up in the 1970s or 80s, chances are you grew up listening to Michael Jackson. So much has been said since his untimely passing, some wonderful things, and some horrible. There's not much I can add to it except for this:
Michael Jackson changed the face of music and culture. He changed the way we dance, the way music videos are made, the style of dress we wear. Watch any modern music video and you can see some piece of Michael Jackson's influence. That is his legacy.
As far as his personal life goes, I've done a lot of thinking about this highly eccentric person. And have been listening to his music very closely. His story and his truth is all right there in his songs. I also feel that because he was a remarkably gifted person, he may have processed life's trials and tribulations differently than the average person would. In many ways he became a mirror of our society, all of its joy, pain, and contradiction. All he really wanted to do was perform and share his music with the world. And beginning from a very young age, he carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. I'm sad that we've lost him, but I'm happy he is finally at peace.
He was a prolific artist, and that's what should be focused on, that's what should be celebrated. That said, I want to share some of my favorite Michael Jackson moments. I chose them for their imagery, and I also tried to choose footage that was off the beaten path.







No comments:

Post a Comment